09 October, 2008

Virtual Machine on Fedora

Fedora comes with a virtual machine manager( similar to vmware products) which enables you to create a virtual machine and run various other operating system. I tried installing Windows XP on a virtual machine created using virt-manager in my Fedora. Key steps to begin ..

- Make sure libvirtd demon is running
- Allocate the space as per your needs viz hard disk, RAM etc
- This one is the key step, do not forget to add a cdrom (/dev/hdc) pointning to iso image of Windows XP Disc, as after the first boot, XP installation searches for the Windows XP disk and it cannot read the host's CDROM.

Everything goes on smooth with all these parameters.

4 readers commented:

Bhaskar said...

could u post bout ur experience using vmware. How was it different from this one?

Bhaskar said...

what bout writing a post about how to blog...adding widgets, n provide resources for it... it would help me n to new bloggers!! come on ..

rakesh said...

I had a bad experience with VMWare on Linux, well, I would say, I was responsible for that. My gcc version was higher than the version on which the kernel was compiled. Hence, VMWare could not set it up properly. However, there is no need to go for VMware when you have a similar tool available in Linux Distro itself.

rakesh said...

Blog on adding widgets and all is also cool. Right now I am trying out wordpress you can export it completerly to your own webspace. I am working on with Mohit. So, in coming times my blog would be moved to my own webspace and running on wordpress