05 July, 2008

Error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I recently ran an upgrade on my Fedora core box. All the library files got upgraded . Unfortunately, VLC player which used to run normal stopped working .

The error thrown was
'vlc:error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.

What I discovered is that the file libx264.so.56 had updated to libx264.so.60. Hence, I created a soft link
ln -s libx264.so.60 libx264.so.56 . This solved the issue. And VLC runs file now.

1 readers commented:

L!feIsBinary said...

i haven't tried it for libraries .. but for programs i use update-alternatives .
like python on my system has two option , to link to python2.3 or python2.5

u can choose anyone using
update-alternatives --config python
or u can forcefully install a link.

but this may be for debian based systems..:)