20 August, 2008

My first job, excitement turned otherwise !

17th June 2006 :
No. 72. Rakesh Gupta
No. 73. ..... and so on.
Hurray ! I was floating on cloud nine . I had made in to the company . The on campus drive at my college hyped as arduous process had been a cake walk for me. The faculty member read loud the list of the students who had made in. Celebrations were inevitable .

24th September 2006 :
Hey, did you collect the offer letter ? No, have they come? Cool. Having an offer letter in your hands of a big shot MNC, with a year more still left to complete your engineering degree, sounds fantastic. I had made my mind, I will join it. Become a fundoo coder shoder !! All things seemed to be so perfect. My future path was decided. But, I failed to realise that heavenly signal. As they say in literature, when you desire something, universe conspires to let you have the best. But, I was blinded by the charm and glamor and was not able to see that I had something better to achieve.

10th May 2007 - 25th June 2007:
Desperate wait for the receiving the joining letter at the company. As the history says, it should be something in the middle of June. Perhaps, this was one of the firsts of heavenly signal which I failed to realise. The signal that I am destined for something better and I should seek or continue with some other opportunity.

1st July 2007:
For the first time on the college's history, a database giant had arrived interviewing our batch. The coll was over and everyone was relaxing at home. But the offering and name of the database giant tempted everyone to rush back to the campus from even their remotest abodes and try their knowledge and luck. The selection process was strenuous and I was pleased to make into top 18 out of the 500 people appeared. But unfortunately, they needed only 12 folks. Hence, had a narrow setback. I was disappointed, but this was another heavenly indicator that destiny has something else in store for me and I should realize my potential.

10th July 2007:
The joining date of the company came(23rd July). As expected, it was in their huge training campus. I had mixed feelings. But, I had made my mind and was careless to hunt for any other opportunities.

17th July 2007:
The company had altered the joining date and location to 6th August, to a place where I had never been too. Perhaps, this was the biggest heavenly indicator. Again, I could not sense it. What could I do ? I was not seeing things beyond joining this company, which eventually turned out to be a big mistake of my life. I have been avid passionate about Java and Open Source technologies since my college days. With an expectation of getting similar kind of work/training, I joined the company at the new location

6th August 2007:
Lush green campus and huge glassy buildings, good enough to dupe anyone. I was joyous. The training process started and things went on smoothly. Till one fine day, we had the catastrophic event .... MAINFRAMES, yes your batch has been identified for the mainframes stream. Happy hunting folks, Its gonna be a wonderful time. Man, I was shattered, I never desired to study those outdated legacy systems. The company was not willing to cater to your personal interests.

10th October 2007:
I started pumping my resume like anything. I wanted to get out and do anything but not mainframes. Ill-fated, nothing much happened. Only ray of hope was to complete training and expect to get a different technology project. Chances are meager, but you never now.

1st Feb 2008:
After successful completion of training, off to production. Seems, a whole new world is going to start. Fortunately, I managed to sneak into a non mainframe project after persuading one of the managers at the company. New energy and enthusiasm started to reverberate again in me.

10th April 2008:
All that glitters is not gold. I could perfectly understand that. This one was the biggest and best heavenly indicators, you need to work hard, you are destined for something else. Now I started feeling it hard. The project, they call it support and maintenance barely requires you to be smart, logically and technically sound. There was nothing much crucial I was playing. It started striking me that I am losing, losing rapidly; everything, my knowledge, my analytical and logical skills. What would my future be ? A dumb box. Oh no ! I won't let that happen. Job hunt began with more fierce efforts. I needed to move out. No kidding this time. It's a high priority to give justice to my career life.

15th July 2008:
Filed the resignation, a sense of relief or moksha.

20th August 2008:
I walkout like a free bird. With lesser apprehensions about my next venture.

Summary : Always listen to your heart and understand those heavenly signals, because if you have an intent desire and willingness for something, then universe will definitely conspire and let you get the best. And in DJ (Rang De Basanti) style, I would say Zindagi jeene ke do hi tarike hote hain, ek kisi Indian IT company join kar lo, aur jeete raho, appraisal ki cycle chalne do, doosra, jimmedaari uthao ise badalne ki aur startup join karo :)


4 readers commented:

L!feIsBinary said...

u left one signal..
one of urs friend also tried to show u the right path , because he knew u wouldn't be happy be in this piece of crap a.k.a infy..
who is very happy now .. and wish u best if luck for ur career 2.0

rakesh said...

ya dude. you are right ! I overlooked and was floating in the sea of over expectations.

Bhaskar said...

R u really a free bird..think bout it...!

wat kind of apprehensions u'd or have for ur venture....?

in fact..that means u've thought bout ur next venture!! does that again mean switching from d current profile!! or starting ur own company???????

Anand said...

I think by now u have realized that IT is same everywhere.. but hope u dont get this realization.. It sucks and sucks, but somehow Indian education system make the mind set to be there were ever u get the chance to reach.. and ur blog page looks more like an technical page.. good to see that u r still on with the creative spirit.. :-)